Rose Bay flying boat base - Sydney's forgotten international - and domestic - airport. Convcniently located on Sydney Harbour!
I can remember visiting the base in the 60s and 70s, when Ansett ran 2 Short S25 Sandringhams (one a converted Sunderland) on trips to Lord Howe Island. Being young at the time and a bit short of cash I was hesitant to actually fly in the darn things (regrettably!) but I watched them land and take off and sitting beached on wheels outside the hangar. I should have at least gone on a charter to Lake Macquarie, to the old RAAF base Rathmines, but I didn't. Oh well. That's life I guess.
There's not much left to investigate at Rose Bay, sadly - but enough to get a feel for it. There's actually a lot more at Rathmines. Worth a visit!
And worth a read:
- Interesting and relevant site: http://www.airwaysmuseum.com/
- "Golden Age of Flying Boats"
- RAAF Rathmines - flying boats on Lake Macquarie
- One of my other Rose Bay posts
- Short Sandringham at Rose Bay
- Another Short Sandringham shot!
- Another post by me
- And my Flickr images of the Rose Bay site.
- Or here is an updated list of Sydney's airports.