Sunday, January 17, 2010

Reference to Stanmore House, Mary Reiby, James Pemmell

Sydney’s Inner West | Tightarse Tours | Cheap Backpacker Walking Tours Sydney Melbourne Australia
"Hidden behind the liquor shop - and indeed behind a thousand alterations - is Stanmore House, Newtown’s only surviving old mansion, now barely recognisable. It was built in 1847 and 1855 by Mary Reiby for her daughter Elizabeth Anne who married Captain Joseph Long Innes. It was of Colonial Regency design with a central entrance and gable, wide verandah and capped columns. It is claimed that Sir Joseph Long Innes, who was appointed to the Legislative Council in 1873 and was one-time Attorney General of NSW, was born here in 1834. James Pemmell, parliamentarian and wealthy flour merchant, lived here until his death in 1906."

No comments: